These links and resources are a support to our “Building A Hobbit Club” series.
July & August: The Hobbit
September – Bilbo’s Journey by Joseph Pearce
- I have a review of Bilbo’s Journey – coming soon
October – The Fellowship of the Ring, Book I: I-V
- Lots of fun recipes here
- Video which compares the books to the movies. If you haven’t finished the first book yet, stop at 7:26.
- Enchanting recording of Tolkien singing
- C.S. Lewis’s Aslan used song in The Magician’s Nephew to create Narnia
November – The Fellowship of the Ring, Book I: VI-XII
- Lembas Bread
- Because of the poetry in Tolkien’s writing, we considered this interesting video about how the Howard Shore soundtrack elevates the story
December – The Fellowship of the Ring, Book II + “The Departure of Boromir”
January – The Two Towers, Book III
- One of very few places where we think that the movies understood Tolkien better than he understood himself – the elves at Helm’s Deep – a great visual for spiritual battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51BE_zrpyoU
February – The Two Towers, Book IV
Herbs and Stewed Rabbit – we made Rabbit Stew – we also served “Brewed Rabbit” (rabbit themed beer) for those who were too squeamish to try the stewed rabbit.
March – The Return of the King, Book V
Holy Week – The Return of the King, Book VI: Tower of Cirith Ungol – Mount Doom
Easter Season & Ascension – The Return of the King, Book VI